A facelift or rhytidectomy is a popular facial contouring procedure that creates a refreshed, younger-looking visage for patients. Sadly, as we age, collagen and elastin production slows, and these crucial structures become depleted. As a result, we’re left with unflattering sagging, wrinkled skin. A facelift, thankfully, makes sure we can restore and enjoy our signature good looks for years! It is a time-tested surgery that helps hundreds of thousands of patients every year.
If you’re ready to start hearing compliments about your new youthful appearance, Dr. Wael Kouli and his staff are here to support your goals. Esthetica Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Orange County helps Southern California patients gain their desired aesthetic and natural-looking results that they can be proud of. To get the process started, contact our helpful Newport Beach staff at (949) 721-1113.
- 1 Before & After Photos
- 2 Before and After Photos
- 3 About Facelifts
- 4 Benefits
- 5 Candidates
- 6 Personal Consultation with Dr. Kouli
- 7 Preparation
- 8 Procedure
- 9 Recovery
- 10 Results
- 11 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 12 Cost of a Facelift in Newport Beach
- 13 FAQ
- 14 References
Before & After Photos
Before and After Photos
The effects of aging impact everyone differently, but no one is happy about them! Volume loss, loose skin, and wrinkles can leave us feeling older than we are. While we might notice the first signs of aging in our skin, there are also significant changes taking place in the deeper levels of our facial tissues. While our skin becomes thinner, we’re also losing the fat pads that give our face its youthful volume, and the muscles that also keep our face firm and expression alert begin to weaken. As a result, we start to notice an overall lack of definition to the jawline, cheeks, and chin.  Fortunately, today’s facelifts are better than ever and can turn back the clock with natural-looking results. A better understanding of facial anatomy has allowed surgeons to perfect the many techniques that can be customized to each patient. In under four hours, patients can get rid of some of the most common signs of aging in the mid and lower portion of the face. The procedure involves making incisions around the hairline and earlobe.  Once the underlying facial structure is exposed, the restructure of tissues, fat and facial muscles will commence. Once the desired look is achieved, the incisions are closed, dressings are applied, and patients return home.
Facelift patients at Esthetica Center for Cosmetic Surgery enjoy long-lasting effects and an unmistakably younger appearance.
Compelling Advantages of a Facelift
- A versatile procedure that is tailored to treat male and female facial structures
- Provides lift and strengthening to internal facial structures
- Repositions facial fat pads for a fuller cheek structure
- Reduces embarrassing wrinkles and lines
- Long-term results that can’t be achieved with injectables
Healthy patients looking to liven up their appearance with a surgical procedure may be eligible for facelift treatment. But first, we’ll meet with you to discuss your concerns, and determine the best course of action for your unique case.
Suitable Patients Are:
- Free of underlying medical problems that may prevent a successful surgery and recovery
- Willing to quit smoking and other nicotine products for the months before and after their procedure
- Looking to improve the appearance of wrinkles, sunken cheeks, and jowls
- Aware of the results that they can achieve with surgery
- Able to faithfully follow aftercare instructions
Personal Consultation with Dr. Kouli
Esthetica Center for Cosmetic Surgery is committed to exploring the unique possibilities for patients and providing results that bring excitement. Inside our ultra-chic, modern office on San Miguel Drive is a team of medical professionals dedicated to bringing you one step closer to your aesthetic dreams.
Esthetica Center for Plastic Surgery makes sure that each patient is supported throughout their surgical journey. Therefore, we suggest patients complete the following steps before their visit to ensure a smooth process.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol a few weeks before surgery begins.
- Make a trip to your local pharmacy and pick up the medications we’ve ordered.
- Discontinue certain blood thinners, NSAIDs, and other supplements as instructed.
- Inform your employer that you need to take off 1-2 weeks to heal.
- Have someone pick you up from our Newport Beach office after your surgery.
- Follow instructions on fasting to prepare for the anesthesia.
Once the anesthesia takes effect, Dr. Kouli will start by making incisions above the hairline that extend from each temple, travel around the ear, and end at the nape of the neck. The skin is then lifted away from the underlying tissues, which are then repositioned and sutured in place. This will also allow Dr. Kouli to remove any unwanted fat for more defined facial features. The skin is then carefully redraped over the new contours, and any excess skin is removed. Finally, incisions are sutured closed, and your head will be wrapped in post-surgical dressings to protect your results. 
Facelift patients can expect two weeks of recovery with mild symptoms of discomfort, swelling, bruising, and stiffness. Take the medication prescribed to alleviate these symptoms, which are usually most pronounced during the first few days after surgery. Patients will return to Esthetica’s office for regularly scheduled follow-up appointments so that Dr. Kouli can monitor their progress. In 1-2 weeks, you should have enough energy to resume most light activities, and within six weeks, you’ll be able to return to more strenuous workouts and social commitments.
Once the final traces of swelling have subsided, you’ll be able to see your final results! Better-defined facial contours and smooth skin will be yours to enjoy for years. Wearing sunscreen and a healthy diet and exercise will protect your results, and keep you looking and feeling young and energized.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Patients receiving a facelift treatment will enjoy additional benefits if they combine other treatments with their facelift. At your consultation, we’ll have the chance to discuss other options, including:
Otherwise known as a blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery corrects lax, drooping eyelid skin, puffiness, and blocked vision. Incisions are hidden in the eye’s natural creases and allow Dr. Kouli to remove excess skin fat and tissue from the upper, lower, or both eyelids. After a short recovery, patients can look forward to a refreshed, alert appearance.
Endoscopic Brow Lift
A brow lift eliminates wrinkles and sagging skin above the eyes. This helpful solution makes adjustments to the underlying muscles and smooths away lines and wrinkles. A brow lift can improve a “grumpy” or tired-looking appearance.
A rhinoplasty, or “nose job, ” makes revisions to the nasal structure to improve the visual aesthetic and functionality of the nose. The highly customizable treatment involves making concealable incisions inside or outside the nose. Then Dr. Kouli will make the appropriate revisions to reshape and resize the nasal contours.
Cost of a Facelift in Newport Beach
Every facelift procedure is tailored to meet each patient’s aesthetic goals, and as a result, the final price will vary. The cost of your treatment will depend on your unique circumstances. We will break down your anticipated expenses at your initial meeting with Dr. Kouli. Interested patients can call us ahead of time to get an estimate.
Your facelift surgery may take up to four hours, depending on your treatment plan.
Patients can shower once dressings are removed in a few days. However, refrain from using hot styling tools such as curlers and rollers until fully recovered.
While both are facial contouring treatments, they address different concerns. A facelift adjusts the underlying facial structure to reduce signs of aging, wrinkles, and sagging skin. On the contrary, facial implants highlight the cheeks, chin, nose, and jawline by inserting a synthetic implant. We are happy to explain these treatments in better detail at your scheduled consultation.
- Hashem, MD, A. M., Couto, MD, R. A., Duraes, MD, PhD, E. F., Çakmakoğlu, MD, Ç., Swanson, BS, M., Surek, DO, C., & Zins, MD, FACS, J. E. (2020, January). Facelift Part I: History, Anatomy, and Clinical Assessment. Academic.oup.com; Aesthetic Surgery Journal. https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/40/1/1/5370568?login=true
- Kim, B. J., Choi, J. H., & Lee, Y. (2015). Development of Facial Rejuvenation Procedures: Thirty Years of Clinical Experience with Face Lifts. Archives of Plastic Surgery, 42(5), 521–531. https://doi.org/10.5999/aps.2015.42.5.521
- Pourdanesh, F., Esmaeelinejad, M., Jafari, S. M., & Nematollahi, Z. (2016). Facelift: Current Concepts, Techniques, and Principles. In www.intechopen.com. IntechOpen. https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/50616
- Sanan, A., & Most, S. P. (2018). Rhytidectomy (Face-Lift Surgery). JAMA, 320(22), 2387. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.17292