A thigh lift is a surgical procedure that eliminates excess and loose skin from the upper legs. Unfortunately, aging and fluctuations in weight may change the appearance of our bodies. Excess skin volume may cause sagging in many body areas, including the thighs. A lift procedure corrects these concerns by removing excess tissue and pulling the skin taut to create a smoother, slimmer look. Esthetica Center for Cosmetic Surgery offers a wide variety of cosmetic surgery and aesthetic treatments to patients in Orange County and Southern California. Dr. Wael Kouli and his devoted staff are here to provide you with rewarding results that uplift your self-confidence. If you’ve grown tired of your excess skin and thigh fat, make an appointment at our beautiful Newport Beach office today by calling (949) 721-1113.
- 1 About Thighplasty Surgery
- 2 Benefits
- 3 Ideal Candidates
- 4 Personal Consultation with Dr. Kouli
- 5 Preparation
- 6 Procedure
- 7 Recovery
- 8 Results
- 9 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 10 Cost of a Thigh Lift in Newport Beach, CA
- 11 FAQ
- 12 References
About Thighplasty Surgery
We all know that diet and exercise are essential in leading a healthy life, and for finally achieving our ideal physique. After significant weight loss, our skin may not always bounce back after being stretched by large amounts of excess fat. Despite losing weight, the remaining skin may still be bulky. A thigh lift, or thighplasty, can correct issues of skin ptosis (sagging) on the upper legs. Dr. Kouli will select a specific surgical pathway to provide better definition and contours depending on the condition of your thighs, and the areas of the thighs needing treatment. Strategic incisions are made around the thighs to remove redundant fat and tissue, and the remaining skin is repositioned for firmer, smoother thighs. 
A thigh lift is an empowering step in the right direction for patients looking to improve their body aesthetic. This body reshaping procedure can provide a dramatic overhaul to the appearance of the thighs. Other benefits that are in store for patients are:
- Addresses aesthetic concerns in the thighs caused by aging and weight loss
- Thighs that are more proportionate to the rest of the body
- The removal of skin and fat to resolve excess sagging
- Tighter skin that can reduce the appearance of cellulite
- Heightened self-confidence and esteem
- Increased freedom to wear shorts, skirts, or swimwear
- Eliminates chaffing from bulky excess skin when active
A thigh lift may be a suitable procedure for you if you’re willing to undergo an invasive surgical procedure to achieve well-sculpted thighs. If you have grown unhappy or concerned about the appearance of your thighs, then this procedure may be able to help. Dr. Kouli asks patients to be mindful of the following criteria for a thigh lift. They include:
- Patients experiencing loose, excess skin with minimal residual fat in the thigh area
- Be at a stable weight, and have maintained it for at least six months
- Being a non-smoker or willing to stop until the recovery journey is finished
- Having realistic expectations of what can be achieved with a thighplasty
Personal Consultation with Dr. Kouli
Dr. Wael Kouli is a distinguished, highly sought-after cosmetic surgeon in Orange County, CA. His vast experience in the medical field has given him a deep understanding of post-bariatric and other cosmetic surgeries. His dedication to proving the best outcomes possible has been praised by former patients.
The fantastic staff at Esthetica Center for Cosmetic Surgery is happy to help you on your aesthetic journey. Your consultation will be your time to discuss goals, past surgeries, and current health. The meeting is also a time to educate patients about the surgery, requirements, and aftercare instructions. After all, well-informed patients make thoughtful, calculated decisions. Toward the end of your consultation, Dr. Kouli will share his medical advice on how a thighplasty can improve your body aesthetic. If we agree that this procedure is the best course of action, we’ll go ahead and schedule an appointment.
You will receive a list of instructions to follow at your consultation before your upcoming appointment. The custom made instructions should be followed to ensure a stress-free experience and optimal results. In the weeks leading up to surgery, Dr. Kouli may direct you to:
- Temporarily quit smoking, including e-cigarettes. We want to ensure your blood circulation is at peak performance to allow for a speedy recovery.
- Certain medications such as blood thinners need to be paused. Doing so minimizes your risk of unnecessary bleeding or other complications.
- Designate a loved one or trusted friend to drive you home after your surgery ends. Having someone to stay with you and help with everyday tasks will make the first days of your recovery much easier.
- Make a trip to your local pharmacy beforehand and pick up medications prescribed by Dr. Kouli. Place them in a location that is convenient to where you’ll be resting and recovering in your home.
Pre-surgical proceedings start with the administration of the proper anesthesia to ensure your comfort and safety. Thigh lifts are performed using general anesthesia. Once it has taken effect, Dr. Kouli will carry out your thigh lift procedure using the lift technique that will best achieve your results.
Inner Thigh Lift
This technique concentrates on the inner portions of the thigh. First, Dr. Kouli makes an incision in the groin that extends along the inner thigh, and allows for the removal of adequate tissue. Then, skin and fat are removed. The remaining skin is tightened to improve skin laxity and the overall appearance of the inner thigh.
Bilateral (Outer) Thigh Lift
An outer thigh lift targets the skin on the front of the leg. This method also involves an incision in the groin but goes further outward onto the hip toward lower back, just along the bikini line. Skin will be redraped to produce a smoother contour.
Medial Thigh Lift
This common method makes an incision along the inner walls of the upper thighs, past the groin area, and stops near the creases of the buttocks.  This allows Dr. Kouli to remove excess skin and improve the overall appearance of the thighs, hips, and lower legs.
Once the desired aesthetic is crafted, Dr. Kouli will close the incisions with sutures.
Recovery from a thigh lift should take place within three to six weeks. Immediately after surgery, you may feel fatigued and uncomfortable. To prevent blood clots from forming, start taking short walks, but do not overexert yourself. Dr. Kouli will place drains to collect excess fluids for your first week after surgery. He will also place a compression garment that should be worn in the first week to help shape the thighs and reduce swelling. Take the medication as directed by our office to help further relieve these symptoms. By diligently following these instructions, your symptoms improve. Within one to two weeks, you should feel comfortable making easy movements and be able to return to work. High-impact activities can resume within six weeks.
Patients will see better contours once their recovery journey ends and the medical aids (drain tubes and compression garment) are removed. Patients will have a refined, slimmer, and firmer silhouette. The new look is long-lasting as long as there aren’t dramatic weight changes after the surgery.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Dr. Kouli is pleased to offer patients multiple cosmetic options to revitalize their look. Our one-on-one conversation may look at other ways to treat aesthetic concerns in other areas.
- Tummy Tuck: Also known as an abdominoplasty, this treatment provides substantial improvements to the abdominal profile. Patients who have loose, extra skin in this area caused by aging, dramatic weight loss, and pregnancy can get it surgically removed with these three surgical variants: mini, traditional, or extended tummy tuck. Patients leave with attractive abdominal contours.
Cost of a Thigh Lift in Newport Beach, CA
The cost of a thigh lift is as unique as your circumstances. Consequently, pricing will be different for each patient. We are happy to discuss funding options at your consultation. We encourage you to take advantage of our specials to make funding your treatment easier.
Which thigh lift will be suitable for my needs?
A thigh lift is a tailored procedure meant to address each patient’s unique issues and improve the areas of the thigh needing reduction. The best way to understand which one will best serve you is to schedule a personal consultation with your cosmetic surgeon.
Will I have to stay overnight for a thigh lift procedure?
No, you will not have to stay overnight. A thigh lift is an outpatient procedure, meaning that you can come home after surgery, following a brief observation period.
How long will a thigh lift procedure take?
Depending on the skin laxity issues you want to address, the procedure can take two to three hours to complete.
How long is the thigh lift downtime period?
Full recovery after a thigh lift may take up to six weeks. This is when post-surgical symptoms should subside, enabling you to move more freely.
- Bertheuil, N., Thienot, S., Chaput, B., Varin, A., & Watier, E. (2015). Quality-of-Life Assessment after Medial Thighplasty in Patients following Massive Weight Loss. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 135(1), 67e73e. https://doi.org/10.1097/prs.0000000000000771
- Gentile, P., Gigliotti, S., Colicchia, G., Pascali, M., Brinci, L., Cervelli, V., & Labardi, L. (2012). Medial thighplasty: Horizontal and vertical procedures after massive weight loss. Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery, 5(1), 20. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2077.94330